Follow Rep. Scanlon on Facebook and Twitter

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image

The MA Office of Travel and Tourism is running a campaign to support local businesses called “My Local MA.”

There is a statewide website that offers an opportunity for businesses in the tourism industry; Shopping, Restaurants, Lodging and Attractions to be featured for FREE. It's fast and easy for to create.

Simply go to and fill in the info, add photos, add store info and link a website. Businesses can makes changes at any time. These featured businesses reach domestic and international tourists.

Important Tax Tips for Seniors

Senior Circuit Breaker

What is the circuit breaker?

It’s called the Circuit Breaker Tax Credit

because it’s “triggered,” like an electrical

circuit breaker, when property tax payments

exceed 10% of a senior citizen’s annual

income. Those who qualify will still be

required to pay property taxes to their local


Seniors who are homeowners may be eligible

to receive a credit on their Massachusetts

state income taxes if their property taxes paid,

together with half of their water and sewer

bills, exceed 10% of their income. If the

credit is greater than the amount of taxes

owed, the state will refund the difference.

The maximum credit allowed for tax year

2020 is $1,150.

Seniors who are renters may be eligible to

receive a credit when 25% of their

annual rent exceeds 10% of their total income,

subject to the same $1,150 maximum.

Who is eligible?

Massachusetts residents who:

  • Are age 65 or older by January 1, 2021 (for joint filers, it is sufficient if one taxpayer is 65 years of age or older).

  • Own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy the property as primary residence.

  • Have an annual income of $61,000 or less for a single filer who is not the head of household; $76,000 or less for a head of household; or $92,000 or less for joint filers.

  • Have property assessed at no more than $848,000.

Who is NOT eligible?

  • Nonresidents

  • Married persons who do not file jointly.

  • Those who are a dependent of another tax filer.

  • Those who receive a federal or state rent subsidy directly, or those who live in a property-tax exempt facility.

  • Those whose property is assessed at a value of more than $848,000.

  • Those who rent from a landlord who is not required to pay real estate taxes.

Is there a special application?

If eligible, you can claim the credit by

submitting a completed Schedule CB,

Circuit Breaker Credit, with your 2020

state income tax return.

Eligible seniors must file a return and

claim a refund even if they do not owe


Additional Tax Tips for Seniors

No Tax Status

If qualified, you may not have to pay MA income taxes if your adjusted gross income is:

Single - Less than $8,000

Head of Household - Less than $14,000 (plus $1,000 per dependent)

Married, Joint Return - $16,400 (plus $1,000 per dependent)

Limited Income Tax credit

You may qualify if your adjusted gross income is between:

Single - $8,000-$14,000

Head of Household - $14,400-$25,200 (plus $1,750 per dependent)

Married, Joint Return - $16,400-$28,700 (plus $1,750 per dependent)

Exemption for Age 65+

You are eligible for a $700 exemption if you are age 65 or older by January 1, 2021.

The same exemption is available for your spouse if they are age 65 by January 1, 2021.

Dependent Deduction

For households with elderly or disabled dependents, the deduction is $3,600 for a single dependent and $7,200 for two

Blindness, Medical, and Dental Exemptions

You are eligible for a $2,200 exemption if you or your spouse are legally blind. You are allowed an exemption for medical and dental expenses paid during the taxable year.

Non-Taxable Income

Social Security payments received, as well as Veterans Administration compensation, are not taxable in Massachusetts.

Please Consult a tax professional for guidance on these items.

If you have questions about filing for the Circuit Breaker Credit, please call the Massachusetts Department of Revenue at 1-800-392-6089.

To find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, please call 1-888-227-7669.